2019 Global RPA Survey - Taking RPA to the Next Level
To help executives make the most of robotic process automation (RPA), Protiviti partnered with ESI ThoughtLab to survey 450 companies across various regions, industries and sizes to understand the differences between the practices of RPA leaders and organizations that are less advanced.
System Conversion Review Memo
This sample memo summarizes a review of a conversion from one application or system to another.
UPDATED AUDIT REPORT
ISO 27001 Information Security Assessment Report
This audit report focuses on a project baselining an organization’s information security practices, with the purpose of identifying opportunities to advance the information security function.
UPDATED CHECKLISTS AND QUESTIONNAIRES
Employee Termination Checklist
This sample checklist outlines the steps that should be followed by HR and payroll when an employee is leaving a company, voluntarily or involuntarily.
Segregation of Duties Questionnaire: Accounts Receivable
This questionnaire template is designed to evaluate the segregation of duties related to the accounts receivable process.
Segregation of Duties Questionnaire: Financial Controls
This questionnaire template is designed to evaluate the segregation of duties related to the financial controls process.
Segregation of Duties: Controls for Significant Accounting Applications
This questionnaire template is designed to evaluate the segregation of duties related to the significant accounting application process.
UPDATED REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
Request for Proposal: Internal Audit Co-Sourcing/Outsourcing (Sample 3)
This sample request for proposal contains many questions to be considered when outsourcing or co-sourcing any part of an internal audit function.
HOT ISSUE ARTICLES
Enhancing Security Strategy for Cloud-Based Technology
This article includes strategies for addressing cloud risk; the importance of architectural decisions; next steps organizations can take to enhance security; and a list of frameworks, benchmarks and tools to consider.
U.S. Bank Regulators Encourage Innovation in the Fight Against Financial Crime
Protiviti Senior Managing Director Carol Beaumier explores the federal regulators’ push for innovation and what it means not just for individual banking institutions, but for the financial services industry as a whole.
Digital Readiness, Talent Retention Top Executive Concerns in 2019, Survey Reveals
This article highlights some of the most intriguing results and insights from this year’s Executive Perspectives on Top Risks survey.
Upcoming CPE Webinar: Taking RPA to the Next Level
Register now for Protiviti's May 14 webinar, which will include an in-depth discussion on the 2019 RPA survey. We will share details on the overall survey results and insights, including top challenges for adopting RPA and lessons learned from executives worldwide.
KNOWLEDGELEADER BLOG POST
Second Line of Defense: What Needs to Be Present
Essential to effective risk management, the lines-of-defense model is implicit in COSO’s internal control framework through the control environment, control, activities, monitoring and other components of an internal control system. This week's blog post explores the second line of defense and why it is important to COSO's internal control framework.
How to Get Your Employees to Care About Cybersecurity
This article explains why employees don't make cybersecurity a priority and offers steps you can take to get them on board. Source: isaca.org
FASB Makes Minor Adjustments to Financial Instruments Rules
This article discusses the clarifications and minor improvements to the accounting standards for credit losses, hedging and recognition. Source: journalofaccountancy.com
FEATURED KLplus CPE TRAINING COURSE
Getting to the Root of a Problem
Articulating a problem requires asking the right people the right questions. In this course, you'll learn about identifying stakeholders, gaining their input and trust, and using analysis techniques to get to the root cause of a problem. The completed course is worth 0.5 CPE credit, and by the end of the course, the learner will be able to:
KNOWLEDGELEADER'S GREATEST HITS!
Strategic Internal Audit Plan
- Identify different types of project stakeholders
- Effectively solicit stakeholder input on the impact of a problem by asking questions
- Recognize techniques for gaining trust from project stakeholders
- Match root causes of problems with the organizational level at which they typically occur
- Recognize how to investigate root causes of problems using 5 whys analysis
- Recall the steps in using a fishbone diagram to investigate the root causes of a problem
- Use appropriate methods to get to the root cause of a problem
This sample outlines the approach employed by internal audit to develop the audit plan and indicative projects for the year.
CCH TAX AND ACCOUNTING - ACCOUNTING RESEARCH MANAGER UPDATES
Weekly Summary of Accounting, SEC, and Auditing Developments
TOP 5 PAGES ON KNOWLEDGELEADER
- Cost of Film and Episodic TV Series – New Edition of GAAP Update Service Discusses ASU 2019-02
- Checklist – New Edition of Recent Authoritative US Accounting Standards Published
- Government Entities – 2019 Edition of Knowledge-Based Audits of Governmental Entities Published
- Audit Documentation – New Edition of GAAS Update Service Discusses AU-C Section 230
- Not-for-Profit Entities – AICPA Publishes TQA on Definition of Direct Care of Collection Item
- GASB Standards – GASB Issues Guidance for Implementation of Various Pronouncements
- Public-Private Partnerships – New Edition of GASB Update Service Provides Overview of GASB Projects
These were the most popular items on KnowledgeLeader last week:
- Internal Audit Performance Measures Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Segregation of Duties Questionnaire: Financial Reporting
- Employee New Hire Checklist
- AR and Cash Application Process Flow
- Sarbanes-Oxley Year-End Audit Committee Report