Brinks Home Security: ‘‘Just Start’’ — Advancing and Refining a Next-Generation Audit Approach
In this profile, Brinks Home Security Senior Director of Internal Audit Lynne Howison discusses her department’s use of advanced auditing tools and techniques to maintain strategic focus and achieve a successful business transformation.
Provide Financial Information to External Parties: Risk Reporting RCM
This document outlines risks and controls common to the risk reporting aspect of the “provide financial information to external parties” process in a risk control matrix (RCM) format.
UPDATED AUDIT REPORTS
Tax Compliance Process Report
This sample audit report outlines the business process related to tax compliance and provides tips to help a Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) team report their findings.
Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404 Status Report
This sample report can be used by the project team, executive management and process owners to facilitate an understanding of project purpose and deliverables.
Segregation of Duties Questionnaire: Treasury
This sample questionnaire provides key considerations for segregating duties during the treasury process.
Segregation of Duties Questionnaire: Significant Cash Disbursement Applications
This sample questionnaire provides key considerations for segregating duties during the cash disbursement process.
Sarbanes-Oxley Auditor Walkthrough Guide
This sample document can be used as a guide to help prepare company personnel for the walkthrough process related to Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404 compliance.
AUDIT ANALYTICS ARTICLE
Microsoft Discloses Critical Audit Matters
In this article, Audit Analytics analyzes Microsoft’s August 2019 annual report, which provided a wealth of information in addition to one of the first disclosures of critical audit matters from a large accelerated filer.
HOT ISSUE ARTICLES
SOX Compliance Survey: One Decade of Insights
This article highlights a decade of SOX compliance efforts documented in Protiviti’s annual Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance survey reports and offers several takeaways for continuous SOX capability improvement.
New Staffing Strategies Can Help Finance Leaders Address Business Challenges
This article provides strategic input to help companies manage organizational changes associated with new technology implementations and compliance remediation efforts.
Cyber Risks Drawing Increased Scrutiny in Public Company Transition
In this article, Protiviti Managing Directors Nicholas Spinks and David Taylor explain how important it is to sharpen the focus on cyber risks and offer a four-step approach to enhancing an organization’s public company transition planning process.
KNOWLEDGELEADER BLOG POST
Internal Audit: Auditing Standards You Need to Be Aware Of
While the IPPF does not have the rule of law, the practice of internal auditing, like other professions, is based upon elements of due professional care and a ruling body that develops standards of practice through a public exposure process. This week's blog post explores auditing standards and requirements.
FEATURED KLplus CPE TRAINING COURSE
The Agile Leader
Even a small shift in direction can accelerate success. In this course, you will learn how to adopt a focused and flexible mindset; respond quickly with adaptive techniques; and empower others to reach the goal. The completed course is worth 1 CPE credit, by the end of the course, the learner will be able to:
Auditing Green IT
- Recognize characteristics associated with an agile leadership style
- Identify mindset shifts that overcome agility obstacles
- Recognize actions that demonstrate steps in the cycle of balancing focus and agility
- Identify skills most valuable to agile leadership
- Identify actions that drive others to reach solutions
Both society and organizations recognize the importance of sustainability in their day-to-day functions and demand guidelines that help them implement, control and improve practices in this regard. This article lists three steps organizations can take to audit green IT. Source: isaca.org
What Happens When Internal Audit Is Ignored? It Happens Too Often
This article highlights the three-lines-of-defense risk management model and explains the Atlanta case where management failed in its responsibility to promptly address the recommendations made by internal audit, rendering the model ineffective. Source: theiia.org
DID YOU KNOW?
KnowledgeLeader has over 160 tools and publications related to ethics in our database, and they are all right at your fingertips. Check out our Ethics Topic Page to explore all of the ethics content available to you.
CCH TAX AND ACCOUNTING - ACCOUNTING RESEARCH MANAGER UPDATES
Weekly Summary of Accounting, SEC, and Auditing Developments
TOP 5 PAGES ON KNOWLEDGELEADER
- Disclosures – 2019-2020 Edition of Financial Statement Disclosures Manual Published
- Interest Rates – FASB Proposes Guidance to Assist in Transition Away from Interbank Offered Rates
- Banking and Savings Institutions – SEC Chief Accountant Addresses Banking Conference
- US Markets – SEC Chairman Clayton Discusses Current Market Issues
- Consolidated Audit Trail – SEC Proposes Transparency and Financial Accountability Amendments to the CAT NMS Plan
- Income Taxes – FASB Discusses Simplification to Income Taxes
- Financial Institutions – 2019-2020 Edition of Knowledge-Based Audits of Financial Institutions Published
- International Entities – 2019-2020 Edition of Knowledge-Based Audits of International Entities Published
- Governmental GAAP – 2020 Edition of Governmental GAAP Guide Published
These were the most popular items on KnowledgeLeader last week:
- An Effective Way to Conduct a Risk Assessment Guide
- Inventory Policy
- Manage Service Contracts: Monitoring Existing Contracts RCM
- Internal Audit Performance Measures Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404 Compliance Guide