Leaders of organizations in virtually every industry, size of organization, and geographic location are reminded all too frequently that they operate in what appears to many to be an increasingly risky global landscape. Boards of directors and executive management teams cannot afford to manage risks casually on a reactive basis, especially considering the rapid pace of disruptive innovation and technological developments.
Protiviti and North Carolina State University’s ERM Initiative are pleased to provide this report focusing on the top risks currently on the minds of global boards of directors and executives. This report contains results from our eighth annual risk survey of directors and executives to obtain their views on the extent to which a broad collection of risks is likely to affect their organizations over the next year.
Major findings include:
- The global business environment is slightly less risky in 2020.
- Interesting shifts occur in the 2020 top 10 risks.
- Talent and culture risks and technology and innovation risks dominate the top 10.
- Most executives are concerned about economic conditions.
- Concerns over operational capabilities have strategic underpinnings.